As of the 20th August 2019 The Speciality Coffee Association (SCA) has started adjusting the written assessment format for SCA exams, to ensure that the international education program is both current and relevant to the Learner. For Introduction To Coffee, and Foundation and Intermediate level courses, the Written Exams are now taken online. Professional level courses will follow.
Below are the steps to take when signing up for SCA Certification:
- Start with purchasing an SCA Introduction To Coffee, Foundation, Intermediate or Professional Certification through our website here. This pays for the SCA Exam(s) and following SCA Certificate.
- Sign up as a Learner through the SCA website to create an SCA account and receive your Learner number. This is free of charge and you will need this number to obtain your SCA Certificate. Please have this number to hand when you attend your course.
- After completion of the course, you will take the Practical Exam in our training centre and, if successful, your Written Exam invitation will be emailed to you by the SCA within the next 5 days. This includes a link to access the online written exam. If you are attending an Introduction to Coffee or Foundation Level course, you will go straight to the Written Exam, as there are no Practical Exams for these courses.
- When you have received your Written Exam invitation you have 21 calendar days to take the online Written Exam, and you are allowed two attempts to pass this exam. The 21st day is called the Exam Expiration Date and you can find this date and time under the ‘Written Exams' section in your SCA Learner Profile.
- Once you have passed your Written Exam, you will be notified immediately of your results and we are sent the information to request your SCA Certificate.
- You will be notified by the SCA when your SCA Certificate is available to download from your SCA account. Please note that this can take up to 4 weeks to process.
You can find more information about the SCA and Certification on our website here.
Please note: the SCA recommends that the Learner takes the online Written Exam on a computer, rather than a tablet or phone. The full functionality of the online exam is not enabled on all tablets and phones so the Learner's ability to take the exam may be compromised.